EYES THAT CAPTURED THE WORLD
-SANGHAMITRA GOGOI
MACJ
People say
money isn’t everything and that money cannot buy happiness. Now how much of our
population will choose to eat bread without butter is a matter of thought. It was
winter and i landed the crowded streets of Calcutta on the eve of Durga Puja. What
joy, what food and what not? From delicious misty doi to mouth watering fish
curry and many items on the list. I was with my cousin Raunak wandering around
the streets greedily. Meanwhile my eyes caught the attention of this little boy
who was begging for food in one of the foot paths at MG. Road. I wonder what
irony to see a child to beg on the eve of celebration. The little boy seemed like
an 8 year old waiting patiently for passengers to drop down money or food on
his empty mug, where on the other side of the story we see the elite society
enjoying the flavours of food, few wasting them too.
I never endorsed the concept of wasting food
when we are still discussing poverty in our country. We see many children who
are not privileged with basic necessities of life such as food, shelter,
clothing. I was filled with awe to find this little boy in worse condition. I wonder
what would be his world look like? Is it similar to what we picture or is it
different? Mostly they have dreams bigger than the universe and which they keep
it close to their heart but then who will guide them their trip to moon? The torn
out clothes and the empty mug have become their signature style since ages. Even
if they want to break the shackles of poverty they are unable to do so because
of change mentality of the people.
I went to
him and offered him the leftover sweets i had out of humanity.
I asked him- ‘how do you feel in the eve of
festive season’?
His answer
was as dark as his world, and he replied to be with utmost politeness saying- ‘
I don’t feel that I am anymore part of this world because it makes me feel
worse during festive season. I see young boys and girls enjoying puja. They buy
balloons, play games, eat good food, buy clothes which i cannot afford to buy
neither my family can afford to give me. People pass by and they laugh at us by
looking at our condition. I keep my head low to ignore the embarrassment’.
These were
this 8 year old boys words which throbbed me inside out. I could not tolerate
the inhumanity which a little boys eyes captured. I could not visualize the
sight of people laughing at him and taking their life as a matter of joke. Even
if i want to do something and even if i want to scream out loud to those people
who creates a dark image of them on our behalf, this society where we live will
hold us back and will never allow us to put words in their mouth to voice back.
Writing is one powerful tool to make people aware of such stories stories. I did
my part when will you?
No comments:
Post a Comment